A Legacy of Caring
Madison Memorial Hospital first opened its doors in 1951 as a 29 bed facility with just 23 employees. During its first 24 hours of operations, the hospital had 1 birth, 1 death, and 5 surgeries. Since that day it has continued to grow and evolve with the changing needs of the community.
For example, in 1976 the hospital broke ground for a new building but was delayed due to the Teton Dam flooding Madison County. Many employees lost their homes and camped in the basement of the hospital. This tragedy delayed the building significantly but construction continued and was completed in 1978.
Madison Memorial Hospital was recognized as one of the top 100 small hospitals in the nation in 1994. Just two years later the hospital started another construction period, divided into two phases. They expanded the emergency and physical therapy departments, added new business offices and a maternity center, and put in a new parking area and canopied the entrance. All of which were fully completed by 1999.
In 2001, Ricks College became BYU-Idaho, which helped Madison County became one of the fastest growing areas in Idaho. A growing community requires healthcare to expand with it, so in 2005 Madison Memorial started a major construction project allowing them to continue to meet and exceed the medical needs of residents in the five counties they served.
In July of 2008, Madison Memorial completed a $55 million dollar expansion that tacked on 76,000 square feet of new space and remodeled 85,000 square feet of space. The addition included new and improved facilities in the areas of Emergency Medicine, Radiology, Laboratory, Surgical Suites, and much more.
Several new services including cardiac rehab, pain management, short-stay therapy, oncology, and advanced surgical procedures were also added.
Madison Memorial has made outstanding strides in neonatal care. In 2008, nearly 1600 newborn babies took their first breath in Madison Memorial Hospital—nearly 400 more deliveries than predictions for the year. in 2012, Madison Memorial met the need for a large maternity ward by expanding to make more room for mothers and newborns. The Hospital has been able to keep infants at an even earlier gestational age than before with the addition of two neonatologists, and a new NICU opened its doors in the Fall of 2009.
What does the future hold? Well, let’s just say things won’t be slowing down. The Board of Trustees has set a vision to be a first-class, regional healthcare facility whose care for each individual is superior with a skilled medical staff and employees. They are well on their way to accomplishing this.